from Redhill to Gympie

A tribute to Michael Christian Daly & Eileen Gertrude Green,to their descendants and to their ancestors and to the many cousins

Edmond Daly September 1841 - 7 November 1919


Edmond, the third son of Michael Daly (farmer) and Mary O'Brien, was born in Glen of Aherlow, Tipperary. He was christened in the same year. His godmother was Catherine Ryan according to his baptismal record.

Edmond arrived in Australia with his sister Mary on the ship "Rajasthan" on 4 November 1862. His brothers Michael, John and Daniel arrived later. His two sisters Catherine and Margaret along with another brother Peter, did not immigrate to Australia. Edmond was a hotel keeper in the early days as well as a station master later in life. Dale Wilson has researched his employment with the Queensland Railways Department. Edmond died tragically after being run over by a railway engine and coaches. He is buried at Toowong Cemetery Portion 7A Section 58 Grave Number ˝. Also in the same grave is his daughter Eva Claire Dobbyn, his wife Elizabeth Daly (nee Smith) and his son-in-law Richard Nugent Dobbyn.

Edmond married Mary Radford 13th July 1870 in Rockhampton. Mary was the daughter of James RADFORD and Catherine Howden. She was born about 1849 in Ireland and died 31 May 1875 in Ipswich. A daughter was born from this marriage (Mary Catherine Daly) on 24th April 1871. Mary Radford died on 31st May 1875. The marriage was announced in the local newspaper – see the article below.

  The Brisbane Courier Saturday 6 August 1870
Daly – Radford – On the 14th July, at St. Mary’s Church, Ipswich, by the Rev Dean Brun, Edward Daly of Brisbane, third son of Mr Michael Daly, Glen Aherlow, Tipperary, Ireland, to Mary Radford, Ipswich, eldest daughter of Mr James Radford, County Wexford, Ireland. Mary died on 31 May 1875.



Edmond then married Elizabeth Smith on 16 August 1879 in Rockhampton. She was the daughter of William Henry SMITH and Elizabeth DEVINE. Elizabeth was born 29 October 1856 on the goldfields* at "The Ovens", Woolshed Creek in Victoria, Australia. Elizabeth died on 5 January 1936 in Brisbane. Edmond and Elizabeth lived in Walmsley Street Kangaroo Point. On the front of the house in Kangaroo Point was “Glen of Aherlow" named after his birth place. Before moving to Kangaroo Point, a Brisbane riverside suburb, tragically their son Edmond James died young as reported in The Brisbane Courier on Monday 14 January 1889.

* see also Flett, James: "The history of gold discovery in Victoria", The Hawthorn Press, Melbourne, 1970

L to R: Edmond, Michael and Daniel (the 3 brothers)

Another son was Edmond William Smith Daly. This Edmond served in France during World War I. Below are some links to his war record. After the war he departed England on 12 December 1918 suffering from dysentery. His father died shortly after his discharge and return to Australia. See the links below for copies of the original Army records.

War Service Record (page 1 - pdf image of the original)

National Archives (full series of records from their website)

AIF ADFA Record (jpg image)

<<top of page>>

Edmond Daly (1841-1919) - His Days With the Queensland Government Railways
[Source: Researched by Dale Wilson and recorded in his tree]

1881-1883    Station Master & Traffic Manager, Maryborough, the first appointment to Maryborough Station
1883-1891    Station Master & Traffic Manager,North Bundaberg
1892-1894    Goods agent, Vulture Street, South Brisbane
1894-1911    Station Master, South Brisbane, then retirement
1812-1919    Edmond returns to the Railway and works in the Lost Property Office at Central Station, Brisbane

Maryborough Chronicle 6 August 1883:The newly gazetted Traffic Manager for the Maryborough and Bundaberg Railways is Mr Richard Sexton. It is rumoured that  Mr E Daly in developing the Maryborough Railway, and now that he has by unremitting attention and hard work, even to loading the trucks and showing porters how to do their business, acquired an intimate acquaintance with the peculiarities of this badly equipped line, he is to be sent away to make room for another and a stranger who knows us not.

Maryborough Chronicle 16 August 1883: As we predicted the aforeshadowed removal of  Mr E Daly, our Station Master, to a scene where his ability and his experience gained on the Maryborough-Gympie line would comparatively with his retention in his present office, be lost, has called forth a feeling of indignation among those who know him at both ends of the line. At Gympie, as well as Maryborough, prominent citizens are getting up a request to the Railway Authorities that his services may be retained in Maryborough and we heartily wish success to their endeavours.

Maryborough Chronicle 11 September 1883: In personal matters, we have to note the removal of Mr E Daly, who has acted as our Station Master from the first, to Bundaberg, and his place is filled by  Mr Sexton as Traffic Manager of the Bundaberg and Maryborough lines.  Mr Daly was the recipient of pleasing testimonials ere [sic] his departure.

History of Bundaberg by J.Y. Walker: North Bundaberg Floods of 1890: When the water approached the steps of the Mulgrave Hotel, recollections of the 'early days' were forced upon the minds of the residents who witnessed the flood of '75. No other course being open, preparations for a 'shift' were made with all alacrity, and it is greatly to the credit of  Mr E Daly, Station Master in Charge, that he without solicitation, placed trains at the service of anyone wishing to move onto higher ground. A large number of people, with their belongings, availed themselves of  Mr Daly's kindness.

Brisbane Courier 8 November 1919 "Train Accident: Fatality at Central Station: An old employee killed”: A regrettable accident occurred at Central Station at about 9:15 a.m. yesterday. Edmond Daly, aged 74 years, who resided at Walmsley Street, Kangaroo Point, was crossing the line at the Edward Street end, in order to get to No. 4 Platform, when he was run down by an engine and empty carriages leaving the station for Roma Street Station. He was dragged a considerable distance, death was evidently occurred instantaneously. The deceased was one of the oldest employees of the department. He entered the service in 1875, and in 1883 was in charge of the Bundaberg Railway, before it was connected with Brisbane. In 1911 he retired from the service, but was re-employed in the Lost Property Office at Central Station, which position he held at the time of his death. The deceased man, who was married, is survived by a large family. The Inquest was held on 12th January 1920.
<<top of page>>

Edmond Daly 1841-1919 - Maryborough & Gympie Railway Line Opening
[Source ; Lynch/Daly Family Tree

Maryborough Chronicle 9th August 1881

MARYBOROUGH VERSION:Prior to the Official Opening of the Maryborough Gympie Rail line is was decided to hold a test run to Gympie, on Gympie's Show Day.   BUT ALAS!!!!!! 

The prospect of general harmony at the opening of the railway is, it appears, clouded through the perrifoggery of one of the Brisbane Under-Secretaries.  It was generally known that on Friday week it was intimated by the Chief Engineer of Railways that for the convenience of the public, a train should run from Gympie to Maryborough on Tuesday [show day].  Mr Mellor, Mayor of Gympie, accordingally got pass-tickets printed and having issued them with discrimination, the train on Tuesday morning bore to Maryboorugh a full load of respectable citizens of Gympie.  On nearing Maryborough Station the train was stopped, and all the passengers locked up until they paid their fares, the Commissioner of Railways having, late on the Monday night wired to Mr. Daly to collect fares according to scale.  Mr Mellor was placed in a most embrassing position, from which he extricated himself by paying the fares of all who had travelled on the "passes" issued by him in accordance with the wishes of the Department.  The amount we are told for which M. Mellor was "stuck" - no other word adequately expressed the transaction - was over [pounds] 170.

The bungle is one so discreditable to the perpetrators, that if the Government attempt to justify it, they had better think twice before they visit these parts.  The Gympie people evidently have very strong feelings on the subject.  At a meeting of the Gympie Council, held on Tuesday, the following resolution was passed.

       "That in consequence of the treatment the mayor and Council of this Borough, and through them the whole of the public of Gympie, have received at the hands of the Government re the excursion to Maryborough, the Council withdraws from taking any part in the proposed Railway Demonstrations at the opening of the Railway". 

An Amendment was proposed by Alderman Ball -  "That the Council proceed with the Demonstration" it found no Seconder.

The resolution bears on its face 'childish petulance'. By withdrawing from its own demonstration the Gympie  Council commits an act which is akin to "Cutting of the nose to spite the face", and though the indignity, and even 'swindle' perpetrated on their Mayor excuses such an extreme expression of opinion as is conveyed in the withdrawal, we don't think this is the most effective way of letting the Government know and feel in what light such aurocratic doing and undoing is viewed by the men of Wide Bay, who are accustomed to consider a man's telegraphed promise to be as good as his endorsed word.

GYMPIE VERSION: extracted from the Gympie Times by the Gympie District Historical Society:- The Official Opening was arranged to take place at Gympie, and to keep Maryborough in the picture, a Gala Ball was held in that city a fortnight before opening.  A free excursion train was to transport the Mayor and Aldermen and 150 other important citizens from Gympie, and the Mayor duly issued the invitations to the ball and the free train ride.

Unfortunately, the Station Master at Maryborough [Edmond Daly] had not been officially informed of the 'FREE' arrangements, and on arrival there, the Gympieties were made to pay their fares. This gross insult could not be allowed to go unchallenged, and history informs us that for the next week the telegraph line between Maryborough, Gympie and Brisbane ran hot.  The up-shot being that the Mayor of Gympie washed his hands of the whole affair and refused to have anything more to do with the Official Opening.  However,wise counsil prevailed and he was persuaded to change his mind before the arrival of the Great Day, Saturday 16th August 1881.

There were two "Special Trains" from Maryboorugh, scheduled to arrive at Gympie, the first carrying the general public, and the second the Premier and other Members of Parliament, the Mayor and Aldermen of Maryborough and other invited guests.  As the train drew slowly into the station, the portly figure of our worthy Mayor was perched on the front of the engine.

The Oddfellows Band struck up "Land Of Hope And Glory" as the train came to a halt and the 1200 assembed Gympie people received the visitors with a "Stony Silence".  It was not only the matter of the 'FREE' excursion that rankled, but there was another more serious injustice under which they smarted.  Evidently, the disgruntled residents still had their appetites, as many more than were expected turned up for the 'free feed' and, in the words of the scribe, "They plied their forks and knives with a vigour such as could only be displayed by people who had long been without food"

 The other injustice appeared to be with the Gympie Agricultural, Mining and Pastorial Society over the grant of lands for the show grounds.

<<top of page>>