from Redhill to Gympie

A tribute to Michael Christian Daly & Eileen Gertrude Green,to their descendants and to their ancestors and to the many cousins

In Memory of Eileen Gertrude Green (1914-1991)

| Slideshow | Redhill | Move to Adelaide | Tea Making Episode | Home Cooking |

| Loreto Convent | Fear | Strength of Faith | 1944 Referendum |


Born at Redhill, South Australia on 8 June 1914. Died at Adelaide, South Australia 30 June 1991. This webpage is dedicated to the memory of Eileen. Her ancestry is Green, Hayes, O'Toole, Burgess, Greenhaugh (Greenough / Greenham).

Eileen married Michael Christian Daly in February 1944 and adopted his surname. However, I have referred to her as Eileen in these pages for convenience and to avoid confusion with any time lines about when she was a Green and when she was a Daly. Please refer to the this site's home page too.

Eileen is my mother. It is a strong Irish name which is reflected in her distinct Catholic roots. She is the third daughter of William Ambrose Green and Margaret Monica Hayes. William and Margaret did not have any sons. The Green family's pet name for her was Pog. The Green Family (refer to ancestry chart) gave each of their four daughters a nickname. For example Auntie Phil (whose given names actuall were Margaret Phillis) was Nin and Auntie Anne was Peg. Eileen's husband Michael called her Lylie and as far as I can recall he was the only person to call her that although members of his family called her Lyle.


When I think back, I am certain that family nicknames are a sure sign of the strength of the bonds in a loving family such as the Greens. Strong families have their own customs, friendships and nicknames. But I do remember my maternal grandma (Grandma Green) as strict and very certain in her commands such as when she was instructing me exactly on how to pick lemons off the tree when I was 12 years old. Perhaps I feel this because I never really knew her as my own family moved to her home city just a few years before she died.


Auntie Phil has written a history of the family which I have reproduced it as prepared by her. Care should be taken as there is a bit of a mix up with a family several generations ago which is noted in the document's introduction. It is a worthwhile read as it provides an insight into life in the olden days.



Eileen's letter to the children’s page of the Southern Cross Catholic paper in 1923. The family was living at Redhill and she was nine years old.

The Green family have a long ancestry. They lived on their 600 acre farm "Brooklyn" a mile or so from the small town of Redhill in the area locally known as the Mid North, South Australia. Eileen's father inherited from his father who bought a few farms to ensure each of his sons had one. Eileen's family had a few pastures for the sheep and some cropping land for the wheat and oats. It was reported in the Chronicle newspaper on 8 November 1913 that Eileen's dad (William Ambrose Green) had one of the best wool clips for the season for Mid North. (Source: NLA Trove). As it was not far from town, the young Green sisters attended the local primary school on horseback and during the holidays travelled to the beach at nearby Port Broughton. Life on the farm was pleasurable and profitable for the young Green family. The local museum has records of the girls' attendance at the school.


William Ambrose Green

However William Ambrose Green who was known to me as Poppa, was an asthmatic with allergies to the seeds and grains of the farm. William took pride in his farm and produced a fine wool clip as reported in 1913. However, as there were no boys in the family to help with the farm and to inherit the land, the family decided to move to the capital, Adelaide, which they did in early 1925 just before the Great Depression when Eileen was ten and a half years old. On Saturday, The Mail (a SA newspaper) notes in their "Society News and Events" column on Saturday 21 February 1925 that the family is now living in Adelaide. (Source: NLA Trove). Eileen's name (and the name of her sister Anne) also appears on the student list of enrollments at Redhill Primary School between 1920 to 1927. A copy is held by the Redhill Museum. They moved into their new home located in an avenue of trees at 19 Brandreth Street in Tusmore. In those days this was a newly developing suburb a few miles to the east of Adelaide city and when I was there in the mid 1960's the trees already looked old. In the hot, dry Adelaide climate, Poppa Green established Mediterranean style gardens with grape vines, citrus and stone fruit trees and a garden canopy constructed from the local brush where he could sip his lemon cordial made from the fruit he grew.


Rosie, my sister, tells me that "at Brandreth street they used to play tennis," and "They loved their fruit trees especially a Washington Orange tree and grape vines."


Unfortunately the buyer of the farm couldn't afford the repayments to Poppa Green and so they came to an arrangement to share-farm the land until the economy improved. Poppa loved his farm and it must have been a big decision for the family. I recall the large photo of his draught horses pulling a plough. The photographs had pride of place in his dining room overlooking the table for all to see and remember. After his wife Margaret died in 1969 their eldest daughter Margaret Phillis Green (1911-2017), known as Aunty Phil, moved to an apartment in Cleveland Avenue in Dulwich, a nearby suburb and the family home was sold and Aunty Phil took the photographs with her. Many years later she still had the photos even when she moved to nursing care up until her death in 2017. Should the photos still be in existence it would be appreciated if the holder could pass me a copy.


The Greens Ancestry

This section on the Green's ancestry is taken mostly from my father's research notes. Auntie Phil has chronicled this story in her history of the Green family and is more detailed.


Eileen's paternal great grandfather was Thomas Greenhaugh (abt 1813-1851). He was born in Cheshire in England and arrived in Adelaide in about 1836 with his brother John. There are official records that he was paying council rates on his property in Walkerville (an Adelaide suburb) in 1842. The property was near the north side of the River Torrens along Hackney Road. Thomas Greenhaugh changed his name to Green and married Mary O'Toole on 17 January 1842. They were to have six children. (Email me if you wish to have a copy of this family tree). Tragically Thomas Greenhaugh died in an accident when crossing the River Torrens on 6 May 1851 and the coroner's report was recorded in the local paper. One of his sons was James who was born about 1848 was it was believed that James worked and travelled with Sidney Kidman, the renowned cattle king.


There are a few spelling variations to the name Greenhaugh including Greenham or Greenough.


Eileen's grandfather was Thomas Peter Green (1844-1918) the second child of Thomas Greenhaugh and Mary O'Toole above. Thomas Peter Green was born in Adelaide and died in Redhill. He moved to Collinsfield which is in the Redhill area in 1881 and continued farming and grazing there for many years. This is recorded in an obituary for his son Arthur which appeared in the Adelaide Advertiser newspaper on 13 January 1934. The article is available on the Trove digitized newspapers website He is also mentioned in a 1925 news article.


Thomas Peter Green (1844-1918) married Phillis Burgess (1850-1913). Phillis was born in Kent, England and arrived in South Australia in 1857. They married on 18 August 1869 at St Augustine, Salisbury. Thomas and Phillis had 14 children who were born between 1870 and 1893. Much of this information is recorded in the Green's family Bible.


Their grandson (a cousin of mother's) Thomas Alexander Green (1913-1945) was killed in Balikpapan, Borneo just before the end of World War 2. The parents of Thomas Alexander Green were Thomas Leo Green (1889-1966) and Ethel Elizabeth Ellis (1891-1986). This couple lived at Collinsfield. Another cousin. John Evangelist Dee who was born at Stone Hut in South Australia ,died on 16 July 1918 from wounds received in battle at Rouen, Seine-Maritime, Haute-Normandie, France. This was in World War 1.


Eileen's father was William Ambrose Green (1883-1960). He was the ninth child of Thomas Peter Green and Phillis Burgess (1850-1913). William Ambrose Green (1883-1960) and Margaret Monica Hayes (1879-1969) married at Appila, SA on 19 July 1910. Their marriage is recorded in an article on the Chronicle newspaper on 6 August 1910. Details are available on the Trove website of the National Australian Archives.



Thomas Peter Green


Phillis Burgess


Patrick Hayes Headstone at Wilaston Cemetery
(abt 1831-1918)


Below is a short history of a branch of The Green Family - as recorded by G.L. (Bob) Hoad and taken from "Hotels and Publicans in South Australia 1836-1984". The record is held at the Redhill Museum.

[Eileen's grandparents] Thomas Peter Green 1844 - 1918; married at Salisbury 1869, Phyllis nee Burgess 1850 - 1913. They remained for several years on a farm known as part of Parioria Estate. In the year 1881 the family left that district for Collinsfield. They lived on section of land, County of Daly No. 18, it was known as Brooklyn farm; now the home and property of Dennis and Andreen Tothill.

On the 15th day of March 1890, Thomas Peter Green purchased from Thomas Robert Bright, gentleman of Clare, section of land situated in Hundred of Redhill, County of Daly No. 64. On this property was the Collinsfield Hotel. Thomas Peter Green closed the hotel and moved his family from Brooklyn to live there. Collinsfield Hotel became known as "The Peppers" Collinsfield.

Thomas Peter and Phillis Green had a family of thirteen children, five died as infants. The eleventh child of the family Thomas Leo Green 1889 - 1966, married Ethel Elizabeth nee Ellis 1891 - 1986, and they continued living at The Peppers as by this time Thomas Peter and Phillis had retired to live at Semaphore.

[Eileen's uncle] Thomas Leo and Ethel had seven children. Thomas Alexander who died in National Service, Borneo, World War ll. Maurice Leo died aged 11/2 years. Agnes Pearl married Lancelot Perrin.

James Martin married Ethel Letton. John Lawrence married Ruth Hewlett. Margaret Elizabeth died as an infant, and William Anthony.

"The Peppers" property is still in the names of [Eileen's cousins] John Laurence and William Anthony. Agnes is deceased leaving an only child Neil. James had a son Philip who is married, there are no children. John had six children - John, Jane, Andrew, Haydon, Trevor and Darren; all married, there have been fifteen grandchildren born of these unions. Darren and Raelene are now living at "The Peppers", the old Collinsfield Hotel.

Collinsfield Hotel Collinsfield existed 1875 - 1893

1875-1876 - Joseph Collins
1877 - Mrs M. A. Collins
1878 - 1882 - George C. Lowson
1883 - W.H. DeLance
1884-1886 - G. McDonald
1887 - A. Collins
1888-1893 - G.L. McFarlane


The Hayes

Eileen's mother was from the Hayes side of the family. Her grandfather Patrick Hayes was born about 1831 at Durryvullen, Galway in Ireland according to a news article in 1918. However this place cannot be found on a map. My dad in his research notes in the 1980's spelt this as Durevale, which is also not mapped. However there is a place with a similar name called Derryvunlan in the parish of Ballynakill in Galway.


Patrick died at Willaston on 22 February 1918. He is buried at the local cemetery and to this day a gravestone marks the plot. His obituary is recorded in the Chronicle newspaper on 9 March 1918. A copy of the article has been digitised by the National Library of Australia through their Trove website.


Patrick Hayes arrived in South Australia with his parents aboard the "Elisa" in 1840 and they settled in Kapunda in SA. The Australian Marriage Index records the marriage at Mintaro on 15 July 1865. Mintaro is in the South Australian mid-north. The Hayes and Green families are still farming in the area. Patrick had three siblings - Bridget, Michael and Ted. None of them married. Patrick married Catherine O'Toole (abt 1844-1903) and they had 12 children - one of them was Margaret Monica Hayes who was Eileen's mum. Margaret was known as Maggie and she and William Ambrose Green married at Appila, SA on 19 July 1910. It is interesting that a Miss Daly played the piano at the wedding and later, a daughter of Maggie and William was to marry a Daly - albeit, a Daly from Queensland! Patrick and Catherine at buried at Wirrabara which is confirmed by the cemetery’s records.


In the latter half of the 1920’s the Green daughters were growing up and attending school at the local Loreto nun's convent in Portrush road about a mile's walk away from their new home. Loreto was a relatively newly established school which commenced in 1905. Education for Eileen was a must. Rather than finishing school at the minimum age, her parents insisted her continuing to complete her Intermediate School Certificate and thereafter encouraged her to gain a formal career qualification. Eileen also instilled the importance of education into her own children.


In those days vocation options were not as broad as those available to girls much later in the 20th century. Eileen choose to undertake nursing as did her elder sister Auntie Phil. After finishing her schooling aged about 16 years old, Eileen enrolled as a trainee at Calvary Hospital located in North Adelaide and commenced her many years of training. Eileen described her studies and particularly the practical training as a hard slog - there were many hours of work without breaks and there was a consistency in the rounds of double shifts. Sleep and rest was therefore something to strive for. Nurses lived-in at the hospital and there were strict curfew rules governing their free time nurses which was occasionally granted. Living-in gave the trainees a sense of being of perpetually on-call. It was not only training of a medical nature she undertook but social as well. Eileen would instruct her children as she had be taught at the hospital, that, when bringing something to a patient, be it a meal or simply a glass of water, that it had to be served "on a plate, on a tray." She graduated and the Nurses Examination results were published in the local The Advertiser newspaper on 23 April 1937. Eileen turned 23 years of age that year.


During the hot Adelaide summers Eileen enjoyed going down to the sea with Poppa and the rest of the family. They'd love to go to the beachside suburb of Glenelg and visit the amusement arcades, eat their icecreams and dabble their feet in the sea. This is something Poppa enjoyed right up until his death in 1959 at the age of 76. Eileen fondly recalled to her own children that Poppa used to say that a life of three score and ten years (ie 70 years) was more than enough for him.

Eileen & Phil Green
Tusmore, SA circa 1933
Brandreth Street
Tusmore, SA circa 2008
Eileen & Anne Green
First Communion  at Loreto 1926
William & Margaret Green
with Eileen & baby Jenny  November 1944

Married on
5 February 1944

Eileen worked at Calvary Hospital for many years. In 1942 when an invasion of the Australian continent seemed imminent, Eileen and her sister Auntie Phil moved from the family home in Tusmore where they were living to Melbourne where they continued their nursing careers. Auntie Phil was also a nurse. This would have been a difficult move as they were a close knit family but having her sister with her they gave each other emotional support. As her son Anthony recalls, in a private letter, that she had fond memories of the time living for a year or so in the inner suburb of South Yarra, south west of the city. The war continued and in May 1942 Sydney was shelled by Japanese submarines. The following year in 1943 Eileen and Auntie Phill moved to Sydney to make a greater contribution to the war effort. Anthony continues and says, "they lived in Kings Cross which was even then a bohemian suburb sandwiched between the then "poor” Paddington" and “wealthy” Elizabeth Bay. The Australian Electoral rolls of the time confirm where Eileen was living. In Sydney Eileen continued working with the repatriation of soldiers and had many opportunities, which she said she took advantage of, to socialize with the soldiers. Late in 1943 at a soldiers party Eileen was introduced to her future husband Michael Daly, an army officer in the Royal Australian Artillery Regiment. Michael was temporarily posted to Sydney to attend an officer's training course. After a whirlwind romance of just a few months they were married at the local Catholic Church of St Canice's in Kings Cross, Sydney. It was now February 1944 and the end of the war still was not in sight. The blissful couple secured seats for the train journey to Katoomba in the Blue Mountains beyond Sydney for a three day honeymoon. Michael was not able to take longer as he was not able to secure a leave pass from his army unit.

Aunty Phil

Margaret Phillis Green, ie Aunty Phil, lived to a ripe old age of 105 years. Like her sisters she was born at her dad's farm "Brooklyn" Collinsfield, SA on 13 October 1911. The town no longer exists but the locale is Redhill, which is still a thriving wheat and sheep area. She died on 8 January 2017 at Adelaide after many years in a nursing home. She cared for her parents in their old age and lived in the family home. When her mother died in 1968 the family home was sold for distribution to the estate and Aunty Phil moved into an apartment in Cleveland Avenue, Dulwich, an inner eastern Adelaide suburb. My wife and I visited her a few times particularly in the 1980's. However with our peripatetic work there life there was little subsequent opportunity. Aunty Phil made a visit to us in Canberra. I recall when she bought postcards in Civic she told me she did not have a camera and the postcards were a much more professional memory of the places she visited. Aunty Phil never married although she had many male admirers. One such man, an American soldier whom she met in World War 2, bought her a lifetime subscription to the Readers Digest when he returned to the States. In the 1980's during a visit to her, she recalled that the Readers Digest tried to cancel the subscription after 25 years. She pointed out to them that a lifetime is a lifetime and so they continued her subscription another 40 years or so!!

Post World War 2

The remaining war years were difficult for Eileen and Michael. She was pregnant when Michael was re-posted back to the war and so Eileen went back to her family in Adelaide for the birth of their first daughter Jennifer Mary. Eileen records her days in the lead up to Jenny's birth and I have reproduced Excerpts from her Diary. After the war Eileen and her groom settled in Brisbane. After considering various localities, including the area around St Lucia near Queensland University, they decided to purchase a plot of land in Herston which was truly indicative of the close knit Daly clan. His mother and 5 of his siblings would all eventfully live in the area close to Michael's family home which was called "Tumba" at 33 Scott Road in Herston.


After the birth of Jennifer (d. 2002) Eileen would have eight more children over the next 15 years. The pressures upon her would have been very strenuous mentally and physically. She would have gone to bed exhausted. Michael was hard working - establishing his business, building his home in Herston and holiday units at the Gold Coast; he had very little time for domesticity. Eileen was heard to complain on more than one occasion of Michael's lack of help in the home. But it is not a reflection on either of these two hard workers. Who can blame Eileen's comment? She was simply exhausted by the work, the climate, the family. Michael's family movies of the time do show happy moments and her determination and strong will always came to the fore. She was a survivor.

Part of Michael's building program in the 1950's. At the same time he was developing a cottage and  2 units on  the Gold Coast ,a home in Brisbane and a timber mill and hardware supply centre. The units (left) and home (right) in Herston as they were in 2008.

Eileen at a ball – in about 1933 when aged 19 years old.

Tea Making Episode

In 1959 at the tender age of seven I was allowed to brew a pot of tea one evening for my parents. I put the water in the electric kettle, plugged in the power and waited for the water to boil. I was so proud of my ability. The strength and colour was perfect when I poured the teas.



Eileen started playing tennis as a teenager at school. She continued playing after marriage. Her neighbours in Herston frequently held tennis mornings for a group of mothers living in the suburb. Well into her sixties, she'd still have a hit of tennis. Another favourite interest of Eileen's was Auction bridge. This game kept her mind active and healthy for many years. She appreciated the personalised leather card box we gave her for Christmas in 1987.


Strength of Faith

Our family's practice of its faith was strong. Mass every Sunday and the girls had to wear a head covering in the church, following Lenten observances, no meat consumption on Fridays (oh, how we used to look forward to the smoked cod dinner; this was a real penance!). Blessing oneself  with a sign of the cross when going pass a Catholic church - and saying a Hail Mary prayer. We would say the family Rosary for the "conversion of Russia", go to Catholic schools and much more. Religion was an everyday experience and Eileen's faith was most strong.


Jenny & Mum with Annie at home. On their way to her  First Communion at the church of St Joan of Arc.  Herston in the 1950's

Determined Eileen

She had a determined spirit and was never a person to be put down and never one to accept something which was not right. Eileen recalled one frustration with opening a particular cereal box in the late 1950's. She called the manufacturer with her suggestion which she said was adopted by the company. Another time, it was suggested by a salesman (he was a man) that she was making up a story about a faulty product she had purchased. She went straight to the department store manager to get justice - which she did get.


Eileen the homemaker

After moving to Adelaide, each week she would scan the local newspaper for the weekly supermarket specials and match them against her shopping list. Yes, she always had a list which was drummed into her during her nurses training - like hospital corners for the bed sheets (which the kids had to learn to do as well), serving food "on a plate, on a tray and covered". I digress. Back to the shopping list. Budgeting was an everyday necessity. We did not go without but Eileen stretched the pennies. After preparing the list, she would phone it through to the large corner store called CPS (for Central Provision Stores). CPS was located in Stuart Road opposite our church, St Peter Clavers. The staff then would put the order together and home deliver it gratis. Just like the milk and bread home deliveries we received too. How I loved the warm, fresh bread delivered to our door.


These were the good, old days - supermarkets in the 21st century are just redefining customer service and we now have on-line supermarket shopping!


I recall one of our many holidays at the Gold Coast. At Easter 1961 Michael took his family down to their beach cottage for the week. However as he had to work he returned to Brisbane after dropping them off and settling them in. On his return to collect his family, Michael was full of intrigue and said he had a surprise. So, the guessing competition was on…. But no one in the family knew or guessed what it was. Michael was very proud when upon arriving home he took everyone to the kitchen he had spent the week repainting!!


Move to Adelaide

Eileen said to me in the early 1960's that she and Michael had agreed to live in Brisbane only for a few years after WW2 and then go and live in Adelaide. But Michael's family and business commitments were imposing upon them.


In the early 1950's Eileen's parents would travel to Brisbane every few years as did Eileen and Michael travel to visit them in Adelaide. This was done by car. An incredible 2600 miles return journey! Though there is a report in The Advertiser newspaper though that the family did make one journey by air.


The Daly family before moving

to Adelaide in 1963

Siblings, Jenny Mike and Rosie  playing in the sand at Broadbeach

 The year is 1959. The year Eileen had her last child. Poppa Green is not well and his health is deteriorating. Poppa's death in June 1960 must have had an impact on the decision for Eileen and her husband Michael to finally move from Brisbane to Adelaide in 1963. Michael's parents were deceased and Eileen's mother was becoming more frail with the passing years. No longer was Grandma Green able to make the tiring and lengthy journey to see her daughter Eileen and her children in Brisbane.


Eileen's hardships did not diminish when she returned to Adelaide. Michael bought a home for the family in an inner suburb which, while not salubrious, was not the top notch expected of the Green family.

Anthony has recorded his recollections of the move to Adelaide. Michael also needed to provide a steady income for his family after realizing his Brisbane assets. So, Michael was to develop a unit site in the inner North Adelaide suburb contemporaneously renovating the new family home.


During the Adelaide period in the 1960's and early 1970's Eileen's family was growing up and gaining independence. Daughters were marrying and having children and the younger boys spreading their wings


Money was always an issue, as it would be in any large family, they never went without the essentials of life such as shelter, food, and education. Eileen and Michael would have made many sacrifices to pay for private Catholic school fees for the eight surviving children.

Kathryn’s Death Notice

Left to Right:  Rosie, Eileen, baby Greg, Margie, Mike and Jenny in December 1954

Love of Children
Eileen's second child, Kathryn, died during a tonsillectomy operation on 1 February 1949. Her bereavement over this death was so deep that she never referred to Kathryn's death to the younger children - even after they grew into adulthood. In her homes near the front doors, in Herston, Dulwich and Toorak Gardens, Eileen kept in a prominent position, a photograph of Kathryn and Jennifer as infants.Career Woman

Eileen demonstrates her determination and strong will when she returns to the workforce in 1966. She went back to training at the Royal Adelaide Hospital and renewed her professional qualifications and registration. Later, Eileen focused on aged care. Even into her 60's she continued playing tennis and caring for the persons she called "my old ones" who were sometimes younger than her. Yes, I think she did believe that hard work never killed anyone. Her varied interests in aged care, bridge and tennis kept her mind very sharp and physically active for many years.


Parkes, NSW

Greg and Anthony with Caesar at Wolabler circa 1977

Michael during this period was restless being unable to find resolution in Adelaide as he found it was quite difficult for out-of-state people to be accepted by Adelaide'ites. He decided to further his business ventures and went into agriculture and purchased a developmental property 125 miles west of Sydney - near the town of Parkes. He named his farm "Wolabler" after the local mountain. This proved to be a significant imposition on the couple's relationship. Both demonstrated their stubbornness and obstinacy in their own way. The farm went ahead; the units in North Adelaide were eventually sold as was the family home in the Adelaide suburb of Dulwich. Eileen then moved in 1977 to a new home nearby in Cudmore Avenue, Toorak Gardens. Michael again had to exert his skills by undertaking yet another house renovation while still working the farm in Parkes.


By this time only the younger two sons remained at home. As they too spread their wings, the Toorak Gardens home became an effort to manage. In her later years, especially after her husband's death, the children encouraged Eileen to move into a smaller home which would be more manageable for her. But Eileen had grown fond of her home in Toorak Gardens; she found it difficult to make a decision to move and she remained there until her death in 1992.



The Final Years

During her last years Eileen grew more and more frail. She would talk of moving into a smaller home but never was able to make the decision to do so. At this time she became more dependent upon her children, particularly Jenny, Annie and her husband David for support, advice, companionship and all those things loving carers provide. Eileen's husband died in 1988 and she soon followed him. Some say she lost her will to carry on and died of a broken heart. Thank you especially to Jenny, Annie and David for your care.



MWJ Daly
Email me if you have anything to add and I will be happy to do so.