from Redhill to Gympie

A tribute to Michael Christian Daly & Eileen Gertrude Green,to their descendants and to their ancestors and to the many cousins

Margie Daly

Hi everyone
A while ago we had a lunch with Mike and Steph on their back verandah. Their friends Charles and Anita (who have a Chinese background) came over too and taught us how to make traditional Chinese dumplings. It was a great lunch and there is a link to it above.

I am happy to add my bit to this project and look foward to organising some more material. I find the history fascinating and recently went to the the Queensland State Archives and found my Dad's original public school examination record (Junior Certificate).

It can be quite an emotional journey. Click on the link above to share some of my memories.




My mother was ready to die. She was 77. She had said, I have raised 8 children. I have done my job. This is the story of my childhood.

My mother said I was due to be born on the 1st January but I came a day early as my father had taken my mother for a drive; a long drive over a bumpy road. I have returned to our place, the place of my childhood a few times over the years and my first impression is always how small the house now seems. As a child growing up in Herston I felt it was enormous. Three stories high with high steps.

Top of Page


I remember my early childhood as always playing outside. The days were sunny and we always had games to play. I don't ever remember any of us complaining that we were ever bored. Our father had built a see-saw in the back yard.

He was always building us something. The see-saw had a bright orange metal 'witches' hat as the central pivot with a sturdy plank going across. This see-saw just didn't go up and down but spun around. It was always a thrill of pushing it and knowing just the right time to "run out" and out of harm's way. Quite dangerous really; but we never had any accidents with it that I could remember.

Another plaything our father made for us was a "jungle gym" as we called it. It was an intricate design of metal scaffolding poles attached together so as to form an amazing climbing structure. I remember it been huge and very high. The Dooley children from next door always came over to our place and we would spend hours playing on this contraption.

Over the years our father built a block of flats at the back of our property - on the block on land in the street at the rear of our home. They are still there strong and lasting as ever. He did everything from planning, bricklaying, plumbing, wiring, tiling, putting in the kitchens and bathrooms. He did employ tradesmen to help him but it was not unusual for him to work 10 hours a day, 6 days a week. He also built us a swimming pool which was never quite finished.

Top of Page


On Sunday we always went to Mass dressed in our best clothes. Dad always drove the car and we would return home for the Sunday roast. Cold meat and mashed potatoes were Monday's dinner menu.


We all went to the local Catholic primary school run by the Presentation nuns. It was called St Joan of Arc. I made my first communion in Grade 2. Dressed in my white dress and veil, I felt very special and the breakfast in the church hall afterwards was such a banquet of delicious food prepared by the parents.

Piano Lessons

Our mother decided that we would all learn the piano. Our beautiful piano, inherited from our Nana, stood in the main entrance of our house in Herston and we all had to endure Sister Cyprian's piano lessons when we were at the right age. I think Rosemary was the only musical one among us who pursued it.

Top of Page


Sister St Mark was very tall and thin. Very stern but spoke in a soft gentle voice. It was her task to teach us all to read, write and do arithmetic. She also taught us to sing the scales - doh-rai-mei-lah-tii-doh. Up and down the scales we went.

We learnt the names of all the major towns and rivers in Queensland. At lunch time when we went out into the yard to play we ate our lunch under an enormous Moreton Bay fig tree.

The nuns lived next door in a long brick building - the convent. I never went in there.

I dreaded sports day. We had class races and I always came last. I did enjoy our marching classes. We would march around the oval to the tune of a marching band. On Saints Days we also marched to hymns and a chosen "leader" would carry the religious banner. I was always disappointed that I was never chosen to carry the banner.

At the end of the school year we had a concert. We would go up to the stage in front of our parents and each class would sing a couple of songs. Always being the smallest in the class I was always standing in the front which I hated. We were under strict instruction from the teachers not to fiddle.

In grade 7, my last year in primary school, I had a teacher called Sister Gemma. She was the first teacher I liked and felt she showed an interest in me. I remember I enjoyed that year at school. I enjoyed primary school but I loved going home best.

Top of Page

Guy Fawkes Night

There was always a big build up days before Guy Fawkes Night. Every year it was held at our Aunty Mona's home in Clyde Road opposite our primary school. Dad would make a mountain of wood and sticks and set it alight with a bit of petrol thrown on it to get it started. It was enormous and we would run around with penny crackers and pinwheels and rockets. We always had a huge pile of crackers every year. There were so many cousins that it was always a fun evening.

Move to Adelaide

It was at the end of the year in 1963 when I was 12 that we moved from Brisbane to Adelaide. We drove in the family Holden station wagon. As we all couldn't fit in the car the 2 younger boys, Greg and Anthony, went to Adelaide earlier and stayed with Auntie Kay and Uncle Jack until the remainder of the family arrived. My elder sisters went my train.

Family Values

Our parents always instilled into us the importance of working hard, getting good grades and going onto university. At least the boys were expected to go to university and the girls expected to get some sort of qualification too.


Catholic religion and schools

Brought up in the 1950's the Catholic religion was part of our everyday life. Both our parents had a strong faith that carried over into their everyday life. The Rosary was said on many evenings - we all had our plastic rosary beads and we took turns leading the decade. Tuesday nights was for saying the novena to St Anthony in front of a lighted candle. We had a strong devotion to St Anthony who was often called upon to find things lost in the house or to find a carpark. And, he never failed.

Our parents had their children sent to Catholic schools - the girls to Loreto Convent (the third generation) and the boys went to the Christian Brothers. Our primary school was St Joan of Arc Herston.

Top of Page


Lent, to me as a young child, was for saving lollies in a big jar for Easter morning. (What about the sacrifice it is meant to represent?) Giving up lollies for Lent was the "done thing" and we were so proud of our big jar of lollies on Easter morning. There was sibling competition to see who could save the most lollies.

The Exhibition

The Exhibition (or Ekka as it was to become known as) was the next big thing in the year to look forward to. We were paid to "do jobs" around the house. Saving up for the Ekka was the only time I can remember we did jobs around the house for Mum. Mum did everything for me and I guess I just assumed that that what was Mums did. With birthdays Mum always had a birthday cake baked and some presents. My brother does remember the gardening chores though.

Top of Page

School holidays

School holidays were always spent camping. Dad loved the camping out and made a camper trailer in 1963 that extended either side to accommodate double beds. Mum was a good parent and went along with this camping but it was a bit rough and ready for her and she only went a few time. Then dad built a beach house at Broadbeach. (Editor's note: this sequence is not quite correct - during 1950's the family spent holidays at Broadbeach, in the late 50's and early 60's it was tenting and the camper trailer built to take the family to Adelaide). In the '50's there were sand dunes everywhere. Houses were few and far between. We still have great photos of Dad building the beachhouse with his mates.

Dad was always photographing us children with his 16mm movie camera. It was a hobby he enjoyed. We loved our home movie nights on the big screen. I remember one of Jenny dancing; she was such an actress and loved "performing" her made up acts.

Thank you

for sharing these memories with me. ..... Margie Daly

Top of Page