from Redhill to Gympie

A tribute to Michael Christian Daly & Eileen Gertrude Green,to their descendants and to their ancestors and to the many cousins

Rosie, 1947-2018, was the third eldest child of Michael Christian Daly and Eileen Gertrude Green.

When Rosie was about 12 years old she had an idea to build a canoe. She took her concept to Dad and who gave her an old sheet of corrugated iron from his building site to commence construction of the craft! Two pieces of "4x2" formed the bow and transom and the iron was bent to shape and nailed to these. The sheet of iron had to have as few holes as possible - so that there'd be fewer leaks to plug up later on. Dad helped with the waterproof sealing using canvas and tar. Rosie then went off to the local grocery store on the corner of Aberleigh Road and Butterfield Street in Herston to buy a stack of chewing gum. She generously distributed these to her siblings with instructions to chew quickly and when the gum was soft and sticky to pass it back to her to plug the nail holes. After many sticks of gum and an hour of chewing we had had enough of her generosity!The finished canoe was then water tested. We (kids) all piled into the family's Holden station wagon (a 1959 model with a red stripe down the side) with the canoe on the roof racks and we're off to Breakfast Creek. Dad and Rosie launched the canoe and upon making sure it was pretty dry, in Rosie hopped. It was a success. What a day we had. Loads of fun for the older children while us younger one's gave our loud support from the bank. These were good old days!

Above Photo - The Holden
We are on a family picnic in 1959 at Toowoomba
Dad is in background loading the boot and
(L to R) - Margie, Annie and Rosie are posing for the camera. This photo is from a home movie made by Dad.

Rosie was fearlessly independent. The family regularly holidayed at their cottage at Broadbeach on the Gold Coast. It was a longish drive in the 1950's - upto two hours with eight kids in the car too. During one drive home coming back from Gold Coast, Rosie took it into her own mind to exert herself - contrary to parental instructions. On arriving home she promptly jumped out of car before dad could get out and she ran off down the street. She returned home an hour or so later when it was "safe" and things had cooled down a bit.

Rosie was a natural artist. In Brisbane she attended extra art lessons at an art school near Gregory Terrace up until the family's move to Adelaide in December 1963. Rosie had finished her Queensland State Junior School Certificate the year before and commenced a stenography course (studying Pitman's of course). She subsequently found work in that field. Dad encouraged Rosie to continue to develop her artistic talents and helped her work hard to put together a portfolio. He went to Lloyds the local timberyard in Kent Town and got a large variety veneer timbers of differing colours and texture for Rosie to carve and create beautiful wood mosaics. He even made the frames for her artwork. It is a tribute to her that that based on her artistic skills presented in her portfolio, she was accepted by the South Australian School of Art to further her fine arts studies. Dad had great faith in her abilities.

When she was about 20 years old Rosie entered the Loreto nun novitiate in Sydney. As a novice, and in addition to the religious aspects that a novice experiences, Rosie was permitted to work in their art studio and she created many lovely pieces including enameled plates, cuff links and small pieces of jewelry. Rosie decided that she did not have a vocation and returned home in late 1968.

Rosie had an enthusiastic personality and quickly secured a fulltime job. In addition she worked several casual jobs in hospitality, particularly waitressing, to save enough to travel to Europe for an extended holiday. The tips were sometimes very generous which evidenced Rosie's ability to get on with people. While on holidays she worked for a while for the dentist at the American base in Munich for about 8 months and used that as a base for further travel including a trip to Morocco. Rosie said recently that she appreciated the work in Munich as it enabled to extend her holiday including funding a trip to the UK. I recall her return home to Adelaide in early 1969 when she generously brought presents for each member of the family. . Our parents were given a cookoo clock from Switzerland, Dad a beer stein, and my brothers and I received glass one litre beer mugs each from the Octoberfest in Munich. I still have my beer mug. I can't remember what the girls got.

Up until recent years Rosie kept a strong interest in boating and she would travel the country each summer with husband when he competed in national sailing championships. Good on 'ya Rosie.

Rosie sadly died in January 2018. Here is a link to her eulogy on her early life. If you wish to add or suggest any corrections to the above story you may email me.